You are here: Home | Venues | Our venues

Our venues

The Mercers' Room

The Mercers Room

The Mercers Room

The Mercers' Room formed part of the Guildhall's Gatehouse, (built 1340-42), although by the early 15th century it was in private occupation, with its own entrance (since blocked) from the street.

The room takes its name from the Mercers Company, to whom the space was leased in 1590 for use as their hall. In the early 1700s the Mercers used the room as a chapel, judging the acoustics too poor in their traditional chapel in St. Michael's (the ruins opposite the Guildhall). They appear to have given up their lease on the room in the late 18th century, and in the 1840s it was being used as a residence for the 'Hall Keeper'. From the 1860s the room formed part of a new courts and police building, and was still being used as a retiring room for magistrates as late as the 1980s.

On one wall can still be seen the Mercers Coat of Arms, painted in 1590, whilst round the edges of the ceiling are nine rare and important carved corbels, which date from at least the 15th century, and possibly earlier.

Users of this room can enjoy free WiFi access.